Thursday, August 6, 2009

Tasty Treats

Fresh From the Garden

This week my tasty treat is straight from the garden. As I told you on Saturday, we went to the Farmer's Market and loaded up on veggies for the week. We couldn't wait to get home and try a new preparation, and since I'm totally vegetarian this month I came up with a simple but delicious treat:

Broiled Vegetables
I used asparagus, eggplant, peppers, onions, zucchini, and okra (split lengthwise- it was my favorite)

Simple- chop all your veggies, spread them on a sheet pan, sprinkle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and broil them at 450 for 10-20 minutes. I also made some brown rice, black beans, and pesto.


Pesto

half a bunch of basil, 2 garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Blend everything except the oil in a food processor, and once it is blended begin adding olive oil to the desired consistency.

I thought the pesto was delicious pared with the broiled eggplant and the brown rice. Go to your local Farmer's Market this weekend- support your farmers and enjoy some nutritious fruits and vegetables!!

No comments:

Post a Comment